Ok, after hours of research and consideration, you have found the perfect pup to bring home and add to your family! But before you can bring home your newest furry family member, you need to be sure you and your home are ready. Below, you’ll find the essential “New Dog” checklist that will ensure you, your family, and your home are canine-approved!
The Dog Essentials
Before your pup even arrives, make sure you have all the necessary supplies.
- Food Bowl
- Water bowl
- Plenty of toys, especially safe, healthy chew toys!
- Quality dog food (you can ask you family veterinarian for suggestions)
- Healthy dog treats, too!
- Identification Tags
- Training Crate
- Dog Bed or box with blanket or warm towel
- Dog toothbrush
- A brush and comb (a flea comb is a must-have to help keep your pup healthy year ‘round)
- Dog poop bags (you can never have enough!)
A Dog-Proof Home
The ASPCA is a great resource for comprehensive lists of everything and anything that might be harmful and even toxic to your dog. Below, you’ll find some of the more common commonplace items you might have around your house that you’ll need to address or properly store before your new pup arrives home!
- Flowers like tulips, chrysanthemums, and lillies
- Laundry detergents
- Bleach and fabric softeners
- Toilet cleaning products
- Lawn and gardening products, including fertilizer and insecticides
- Chocolate, coffee, caffeine
- Milk and dairy products